Cover letters are a great tool to make a perfect first impression. It is relevant especially when you apply for internships at small and mid-sized companies where applications are sifted by humans and not computerised job portals. The following points are important to keep in mind when drafting a cover letter:
- the addressee,
- job position and
- the job description.
So, here is your guide to craft the winning cover letter along with samples for internship cover letter.
Format of Internship Cover Letter
There is no specific format for the cover letter. The purpose of cover letter is to convey your strengths as the right intern. But it is not a rehashed version of your resume. Unless a specified format is mentioned, it is enough to start on a positive note and move on to show your capability to be the right fit for the role. Be sure to end the letter also on a strong and positive note.
How to Write a Cover Letter for an Internship?
Your internship cover letter must tick certain boxes, to draw the readers’ attention and keep them hooked.
- Addressee – Go through the description, if any, to get a specific contact in the team you wish to intern with. Professional networks like LinkedIn, Glassdoor and even Google can be useful. But if you do not find a contact person, use the phrase “Hi Team” or “To the Hiring Team”.
- Length – It is advisable to restrict the cover letter to one page. However, a longer cover letter may be justified if there is enough content.
- Keywords – Go through the description, if any, to find keywords that apply to your skills. A recruiter scans through your covering letter to understand if you are the right fit for the skills set, match the work culture and what they would gain if they grant you an internship. So, aim your keywords towards these points.
- Opening line – The opening line must capture the readers’ attention and lead him to the rest of the letter. It must get the recruiter to say “yes” right at the “Hello”. It will also give an indication about why you chose that organisation to intern with. You could use the following:
- A personal connection
- A relocation
- Opportunities that the organisation could offer.
- Tone – The covering letter must be a pleasant and hopeful introduction to you. It is going to paint a picture of your attitude, character and your ability to fit into the work culture of the organisation even before your resume is read.
- Closing line – Thank the recruiter for his time and patience. The closing line must be framed to leave a lasting impression on the recruiter.
- Email – If you are sending an email, your cover letter will be your email. Include your address, phone and mail address after your name. If it is sent in hard copy, use the standard business format.
Sample Cover Letter for Internship with Examples
Cover Letter for Internship with no Experience
Hi Team / <Name>,
I am a <x Year> student of <xxx> University, <City>. I am a passionate and goal driven individual and would be grateful if I could intern at your organisation as part of a summer internship program.
Even though I have no work experience, I am sure that I would be the right choice for this organisation with my ability to:
- Simplify complex concepts – I am involved in voluntary teaching service at the local high school.
- Time management – I worked part time at a non-profit organisation during my first year at college. I am also on the editorial board of my college magazine and sports club.
I am a quick learner and can adapt myself to the work flow whenever the need arises. Thanking you for your time and understanding.
Marketing Internship Cover Letter
Hi Team / <Name>,
Please accept my resume for the position of Marketing Intern. I am a student of <xxx> University pursuing a degree in Marketing Management. I am excited to know about this internship opportunity.
As part of the Student’s Committee for Cultural Events, I have coordinated a number of our college events. I have also networked with industry leaders like <xxx> to sponsor events, to mentor students and also interviewed them as part of our college magazine. This year I got the opportunity to volunteer as a career counsellor at the start of the admission procedure.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to a great learning experience.
Internship Cover Letter – Finance
Hi Team / <Name>,
I am thrilled to know, through your website, that there is an opportunity to intern with <xxx> company. I am interested in interning with your organisation as part of my University’s Summer Internship Scheme.
Let me give you a brief introduction:
- I am a student of <xxx> University pursuing a master’s degree in Finance.
- An active member of the Student’s Radio Station, Committee for Arts and Sports (treasurer), Debate Club and Environment Conservation Team.
- I have volunteered in teaching initiatives with the Society of Education for All, a local non-profit organisation.
- I have received prizes for my contribution to the student community and for my project on “Taxation – Simplified for the Common Man”. The Director of my University has also commended my attention to detail and comprehensive coverage.
I am excited to be interning with your organisation. In addition to the learning curve that I gain from it, I strongly believe in my ability to positively contribute to the organisation. The detailed resume is attached to this mail.
Thank you for your understanding and time.
Engineering Internship Cover Letter
Hi Team / <Name>,
<xxx> Company has been a household name since <xxx>. I am thrilled to know that there is an internship program in <xxx> department. I am confident that I have the relevant skills to be the right fit in your organisation.
- I have been part of the innovation team right from the first year of college.
- Also, I have volunteered with projects for automotive and airborne devices projects this year.
- I have also worked with <xxx> company for a Summer Internship Program exclusively for students of my University. I was one among the five selected for the program.
I look forward to a rich learning experience with an industry leader like <xxx> Company. I am willing to relocate for the period of my internship, if required.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Cover Letter for Internship Position
Hi Team / <Name>,
Please consider my resume attached for the position of <xxx> intern at your organisation. I look forward to be part of the work culture and also to be able to contribute in the best way I can towards the goals of your organisation.
To summarise my strengths:
- Time management – I have been working a part time job and volunteering with my local community since I was in high school.
- Social and fun-loving individual.
- I can confidently resolve complex problems with out-of-the-box solutions.
- I can adapt to any situation quickly. Relocating would not be a problem for me.
- Coordinating my team for art exhibitions and sports events has given me the confidence to network with peers and seniors.
It is my dream to intern with an industry leader like <xxx> Company and I am very interested in this position.
Cover Letter for Internship Application
Hi Team / <Name>,
As per the information on your organisation’s website, I understand that Summer Internships are being offered in the <xxx> team. <xxx> Company has been a name I grew up with and would be thrilled to be able to intern at the Company.
I am a <xx> year student of <xxx> department in <xxx> University. I am confident that I have the relevant experience required for the internship. I have topped my class in all the academic years at college and have also participated in extra-curricular activities as follows:
- Editor of the College Newspaper
- Compered Annual Award Festivals of my University as well as other Universities.
- Led my rowing team to win the prize for two years in college.
- Won the best <xxx> answer sheet prize from the Director, <xxx> University.
I understand that you need a candidate with industry experience. But I assure you that I am a quick learner and can do this job as better as an experienced intern.
Thank you for your time and understanding.
Internship Cover Letter Templates in PDF and Word Format
Internship Cover Letter Templates in PDF Format
Internship Cover Letter Templates in Word Format
Do keep in mind that every cover letter must be customised based on the requirement of the organisation. It would be a mistake to send the same cover letter in bulk with your resume. Mention the name of the organisation in your cover letter correctly and ensure that it contains at least two/ three of the key words in the description for the role.
Good luck with drafting an impressive cover letter and landing just where you want to be!