Character Witness Letter: Your colleagues, friends, and other acquaintances are people who know you well and can describe you as a person and a professional. These are the people who can write a character letter for you which you can present at your next company or in matters of the judiciary.
Sometimes it gives us the honor to write such letters for it gives us a chance to describe a person whom we have known for a long time. There are many kinds of character letters that can be written such as a Character Letter for Court during a judicial procedure or a Character Reference Letter for a Friend for a job application in your company.
Character Witness Letter acts as a testimony for that individual, and it projects the fact that someone is acting as a witness for him/her.
Format of a Character Witness Letter
You might have come across various instances wherein you might have to write a character witness letter for your acquaintances. Let’s grab some tips and tricks on how you can go about it.
These are the points that should be kept in mind while writing such a letter. A formal tone should also be maintained while writing such a letter. Let’s take a look at the format of such a letter.
Dear [Name of the person to whom you are writing this letter],
[In the body, the name of your acquaintance should be mentioned in the first line itself. Describe your relationship with him/her and how well you know him/her.
Talk about his achievements and also his/her skills and give instances to prove those skills. Go through the above-mentioned tips to further get an idea on writing such a letter.
Also, mention that you are free to be contacted for any further details.]
How to write a Character Witness Letter?
Before moving on to the format of such letters, let’s take a look at some of the tips which you should keep in mind while writing such letters. You got to be honest and positive before writing such letters. Writing something bad will affect the person’s deeds for which he is asking this letter.
If you are writing such a letter, you should keep the letter short and simple by keeping it limited to 2-3 paragraphs. Apart from these, keep these tips in mind:
- Make it informative- Writing such a letter requires you to know all the facts and information about that person. The letter can be either for a job or a college application. If the person has any specific skills, you can act as the prior witness to those by giving instances about when and where the skills were displayed and how good or bad they were.
You got to speak about the experiences that you had with them and how they will be beneficial.
- Writing to the point- The letter shouldn’t be an exaggeration of facts and should be written in a well laid-out manner and should be to the point. There shouldn’t be jingoism when it comes to the presentation of facts and what you are trying to say should be well projected.
- Providing Contact Information- Last but not the least what you can do is to provide proper contact information so that person whom you are writing this letter to can reach out to your acquaintance for further inquiry.
How to write a Character Witness Letter to a Judge?
Among the few Character Witness Letters that are written, such a letter to a Judge in a court is very important. The purpose of such a letter is to speak on behalf of the defendant and plead to the magistrate to impose a minimum sentence on the person on trial. The letter describes his qualities which let him plead not guilty in front of the bench.
While writing such a letter, you should:
- Maintain a formal tone throughout the letter by addressing the judge in a good manner. You should address him with titles such as “Judge” in the opening salutation.
- Give a brief description of yourself by stating your name and what you do.
- Describe how you know the defendant and what kind of relationship you share with him/her. State your acquaintance’s problems that they are running into with the charges leveled against him/her.
- Describe how you are supporting the convict by stating your reasons for getting them acquitted. State your views most appropriately so that they come across as genuine reasons.
After you have written the letter and left the closing remark as suitable evidence for your acquaintance, you should contact the defense attorney who shall make further arrangements for presenting the letter in the court.
The format of the letter should be the same as mentioned before.
Samples of Character Witness Letter Examples
Here are some of the examples of Character Witness Letters which can be written by you at any point in your life. Go through these examples before proceeding with one.