How to write a complaint letter - It must be formal and clear. It must have all the significant points of the issue you are facing for a particular service, institution, company, or product.
How to write a Complaint Letter
We will discuss some tips to write an effective complaint letter.
- Address your letter well.
You must know whom you are addressing in the complaint letter. Do your research for writing a complaint letter and mention the correct name and designation of the person in the salutation. If you can't find the name or designation of the head or owner, then you can address it to the customer service department.
2. Structure your letter carefully.
A complaint letter should consist of the following things:
- Your situation ('I am writing this letter to complain about (product name, model/service) that I bought from your company on (date of purchase)
- The issue that you are facing ('a week later it stopped working' or the 'services weren't satisfactory')
- The consequences of the problem (hence ____ (you can include what happened) 'we couldn't make the cake')
- Suggest a solution ('we hope you can replace the product' or 'we hope you can provide a better customer service next time')
3. Be factual and friendly.
It is very tempting to write a letter of complaint in an angry and aggressive tone. But such a tone doesn't yield good results. Try to be factual about the issues you are facing and be polite. You can add the date of the receipts, relevant account details, or any other supporting documents for their convenience.
4. Use a cover letter template.
It is one of the best ways to write a subtle complaint letter. Many complaint letter templates are available online in which you have to just add your issue and name, address, and tweak the sentences a bit according to your issue. These templates do most of the work for you. In some cases, all you have to do is fill in the blanks.
5. Proofread your Complaint Letter
After finishing your complaint letter, read it once again and make sure that it is clear, concise, and authoritative. Check for any grammatical errors and spelling mistakes as it can undermine the letter. You can also proofread your letter from professionals; they can help you polish the complaint letter well.
How to Address a Complaint Letter
While writing a letter of complaint, make sure that you state your problem clearly in the first few lines of the letter and be straightforward. In the salutation, you can write the name of the concerned person who can solve your issue.
Below is a sample complaint letter that you can refer to while writing yours.