The Do’s and Don’ts of Resume Writing – Writing Tips of Resume
Do’s and Don’ts of Resume Writing: The term resume refers to a document that is needed while applying for a job. It is also known as a CV in its short form. Its expanded form is Curriculum Vitae. An individual, while applying for a job, prepares this vital document.
In fact, it consists of brief details about his or her education, the experience of work, accomplishments, and skills gained during the academic career. The resume provides all the details about his or her professional work career. It should be in the most presentable and concise form.
This important document is needed and prepared as a part of a job application. Here, the job seeker submits it to the potential employer with a cover letter. The employer, if satisfied with the resume, might call the applicant for an interview.
While writing a resume, an individual has to understand its skills. This means that the Do’s and Don’ts of writing an appropriate resume is vital, which has to be considered. There are several tips and resources that are available today on the web. The job aspirant can refer to them.
In the search of a job, resume can be considered as the best marketing document, keeping in mind its do’s and don’ts. Hence, this forms the first debut of the job seeker to a recruiter. Accordingly, he will look into the various references that are detailed in the career portfolio of the job applicant.
Do’s of a Resume Writing
- The job seeker needs to customize his or her resume every time while applying for different job positions. This process involves highlighting the job seeker’s qualifications and expertise that should suit the requirements of the job. However, it has been found that many employers frequently use the help of screening software. This scans the applicant’s documents for particular keywords. Hence, it is essential for the job seeker to go after the job listings guide while phrasing the resume
- The applicant should exhibit his or her skills by precisely summarizing the software technologies that is familiar. Further, highlighting the level of expertise achieved and the length of using each software module could be written in the resume. However, it is essential for the job seeker to refer to the listing of the job to determine which software programs are important for including in the resume
- While listing the previous positions held by the applicant, it is important to furnish concrete examples of achievements. This will emphasize the work performance of the applicant indicating his or her contribution in the company’s growth. Highlighting responsibilities involved in the functions of boosting sales, broadening the company’s customer base or reaching the targeted market should be included. This will certainly have a positive effect
- In the resume, the job seeker needs to list briefly any special awards and recognitions received. Here, mentioning about delivered lectures, participation in professional organizations including workshops or conferences will be beneficial
- Mistakes and repeated typing errors will indicate to the hiring manager that the job applicant is not familiar with the details. Hence, the applicant can seek help from trusted friends to review the resume prepared by him or her. Here, the idea is that fresh eyes are always helpful in recognizing errors. Hence, proofreading the resume in a repeated way is important
- The applicant while avidly engaged in a job search should give importance to contacts and references. This attitude will help to get calls and emails. The job seeker can send the most updated resume that reflects the current achievements, to the references and contacts for their positive contribution
- Even if the job seeker is not seriously hunting for a job, he or she should update the resume often. This can also be done after the completion of a significant project assigned to him or her. Updating the job seeker’s application and other documents on a regular basis will help to lessen the stress at the time of applying.
Resume Writing Tips
On few following points Job seeker should be Focused while writing a resume:
- Highlight Your Relevant Experience
- Do Optimize for Applicant Tracking Systems
- Include Soft Skills
- Do Consider Volunteer or Other Non-Work Experience
- Include Personal Accomplishments
- Do Think of different new Ways to Frame Your Accomplishments
- Show How You Moved at Past Companies
- Do Consider a Summary Statement
- Write the truth
- Do Use Real English
- Do Use Powerful Verbs
- Do Include Your Correct Contact Info
- Do Keep it to One Page
- Do Consider a Creative
- Make Sure Job Titles and Companies Stand Out
- Do Align all Dates and Locations to the Right
Don’ts of Writing a Resume
- The job seeker should never misrepresent the education or experience details. This will lead into termination. Giving honest and correct information is better
- Giving valid reasons for leaving every job that is listed in the resume will be appropriate. During the interview, most of the employers will seek answers from the applicant about the reason for leaving previous job. It is good to avoid writing these reasons in the resume
- Getting into too many personal things is not necessary. The job seeker must avoid inserting photo, height, social security number, religious affiliation or marital status in the resume. The applicant need not expose himself to unconscious or conscious partiality of the recruiting manager
- The job seeker should provide references in the resume only if requested. However, it is better for him or her to follow the instructions as given in the job ad posting
- The applicant need not furnish in the resume about the exact date of starting the previous job and the date of leaving. However, it is adequate to give the month and year in which the job seeker started his or her previous job. Besides, providing the details of the position is also important
- Writing a resume in a crazy format should be avoided. The applicant should adopt a clean and easy method for it to be readable. It should catch the eye of the recruiter about the applicant’s experience. Hence, should not include any weird designs, colors, or unknown fonts
- The job seeker should prefer to provide his or her personal phone number and email address. Using professional contact detail is not necessary
- The job applicant should include his or her high school education and college education if completed. However, in the resume, the applicant should write the highest academic qualification that he or she holds. This must be written after the high school education
- If the applicant is requested to include the college GPA, in the job posting, it can be done so.
- If the job ad calls for the salary range expected, it should be indicated in the cover letter. Otherwise, the applicant should wait to discuss this part later in the interview.
Keep these points in mind while writing the resume:
- Don’t Freak Out if You Have No Relevant Experience
- Don’t Steal the Job Description’s Wording
- Don’t Include Anything Confidential
- Don’t Include Obvious Skills in resume
- Don’t Include Random, Unrelated, or Off-Putting Hobbies
- Don’t Use an Objective Statement
- Don’t Try to Hide Gaps
- Don’t Use Negative Phrases
- Don’t Use More Than 2 Fonts While writing a resume
- Don’t Go Overboard With Text Effects
- Don’t Use More Than Two Lines Per Bullet
- Don’t Send it in a Word Document, convert it into a PDF
- Don’t Forget to Spell Check at least two times
Writing a resume in a polished way is considered the basics requirement during a job search. However, developing a winning and sound strategy will help the job seeker to achieve the dream job.